Saturday, November 15, 2008

Here Is My Protest

WARNING: THIS POST MAY OFFEND and I don't care!!
Brought to my attention by Pink Asparagus - Thank you!!

I'm not the stand-out-in-the-cold-and-burn-my-bra type. However, I must say this:

CALIFORNIA'S PROP 8 IS A RIDICULOUS BACKWOODS HOMOPHOBIC HILLBILLY LAW

First and foremost let me say that I am NOT a HOMOSEXUAL, BISEXUAL, TRANSGENDER, SWINGER, or otherwise sexually curious individual!! I NEVER HAVE BEEN!! And to my knowledge I do not know anyone in my life who is!!

HOWEVER, I am also NOT a SIMPLE-MINDED, BUCK-TOOTHED, LIVING IN THE STONE AGE, BIGOT!!

I just don't get the point in being homophobic!

  1. I do not believe that allowing same sex marriage somehow endangers the sanctity of traditional marriage. I personally believe that the "sanctity" of traditional marriage seems to do a fine job of falling apart without any outside help. And I've never met a divorcee who said, "If it weren't for gay people my marriage would have lasted!" Marriage fails because of lack of proper communication and personal differences. Unless you've got some scientific evidence that proves homosexuals cannot communicate properly, don't try to tell me their marriages would be less successful!
  2. If you don't approve of gay marriage/civil union there is a very simple cure. DON'T DO IT! I don't approve of eating dogs... I DON'T DO IT!
  3. Dear Government, laws like this should never even make it to the polls. If you honor the concept of CHURCH vs. STATE and take the religious opinions out of the arguement, there is no scientific or moral conflict involved here. To say that this is socially immoral (as opposed to religiously immoral) is obsurd. If we are going to vote on any discriminatory policy suggested in this country, I know some people who wouldn't mind seeing SLAVERY put back up for a vote (and I believe in some backwoods areas of this country it would pass). I know some men who wouldn't mind seeing women's right to vote reconsidered. If religious preferences are going to control this country, I'd like to see the churches paying their fair share of taxes. That'd definately help out iwth the nations financial crisis!!

For those of you out there who believe that this type of thing is unacceptable, let me pull out the history books:

  • In England in the 13th century it was unlawful for a woman to marry before the age of 24.
  • In the past there have been various laws against marrying people from different sects (financial, racial, tribal, religious, etc.)
  • Until Loving vs. Virginia in 1967, interracial marriages were illegal in the U.S.
  • Polygomy was once legal in the U.S.
  • In Ancient Rome (one of the most successful realms of the past) homosexuality was accepted.

So if you insist on desciminating against other's relationships by revoking freedoms that have been granted, please consider whether you or anyone you love has done the following:

  • married before the age of 24
  • married someone of another religion
  • married someone of another race
  • married someone from another financial status
  • Then check your family tree and make sure that no one of "royal" heritage has married someone of "non-royal" heritage.

Considering that all of these things were once frowned upon (or downright illegal), if any are true for you or your family, you really ought to put your personal opinions aside and think very carefully on how much you want the government to control who you are allowed to love!!

GET OVER IT!!

Everyone has a right to have their LOVE for another person ACKNOWLEDGED!!

3 comments:

Kelly Dawn said...

very well put and while I dont agree with ALL of it (I do agree with some of it) I respect your right to your opinion ;) I am not a homophobe or a bigot and I do not believe that same sex marriages contribute to the downfall of society or marriage..as you said we do that all by our damn selves..... :)

love you much!

Kelly

Major.Sunshine said...

Quick clarification to prevent hatemail: (hehe)

I don't think people who support Prop 8 are ALL bigots or homophobes. I think many good people supported prop 8. I just do not understand why this sort of law is even considered.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions of people and morals. I'm willing to tolerate people despite their views of other races, religions, and points of view. If a person chooses to embrace racism, sexism, or other prejudices that is their business.

My anger is directed towards a governement process that has allowed this to take place. With laws against religious discrimination, hate crimes, and other prejudices, I find it disheartening to know our government still supports prejudice based on popular oppinion!

Cat said...

Well said! It's ridiculous. Don't we have better things to worry about than whether or not two people want to have financial and political entangles via marriage?

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Who's Stalking Me?